Route 66

I decided to drive Route 66 the night my kneecap popped off in the bathroom of the lodge at Camp Wesley Woods. Driving home in the wee hours after a trip to the emergency room, staying awake by rolling the windows down to let in the brisk October air, the delirium of the pain, the oldies on the radio...that's when I officially announced, "I'm going to drive Route 66." I am lucky to have three wonderful, adventurous, history geek friends who are ready to hit the road with me.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

We're remembered!

Another call from mom and dad tonight. They're enjoying an evening at the Blue Swallow. The owner is still working on the fountain that was newly discovered when we stopped last June. It seems he needs one more glass block for the fountain, and perhaps a little more repair work and hopefully it'll be ready to go!

But the real highlight of the day (for...um...me) was that they stopped for pie at the Midpoint Café. And they started talking to the staff about their daughter and her three friends who came through last June. And locked their keys in the car. Although the lady who helped us wasn't working today, he said that they were familiar with the story of The Four Girls and the Keys. My dad went out to the van and retrieved their printout of the blog so the employees could read all about how we *heart* the people of Adrian, Texas. It's my understanding that there were some good chuckles about our little mishap. Ah well. It's nice to bring joy to people. :-)

Interestingly enough, I was just looking at some of the other Route 66 Web sites and saw that Ron had also recently posted about the Rialto in Joliet. It seems that within an hour or two after mom and dad left the theatre, that Midwestern storm came through and caused part of the sign to fall.

Mom assures me she's keeping a journal of the trip, so sometime after they get back to Iowa we'll transcribe it and post all about their grand adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home