Route 66

I decided to drive Route 66 the night my kneecap popped off in the bathroom of the lodge at Camp Wesley Woods. Driving home in the wee hours after a trip to the emergency room, staying awake by rolling the windows down to let in the brisk October air, the delirium of the pain, the oldies on the radio...that's when I officially announced, "I'm going to drive Route 66." I am lucky to have three wonderful, adventurous, history geek friends who are ready to hit the road with me.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Two weeks, six weeks, eight weeks, a year

David - Thanks for stopping by and posting. We did our trip from Chicago to Santa Monica in 8 days. I know some people out there are aghast that we moved along so quickly, but we're young and not necessarily drowning in vacation time and/or money, so we worked with what we had. I feel like we still saw nearly everything we wanted to see, so if 8 days is all you can manage, it will not be a waste of your time.

If I had to do it again, though, I wouldn't do it in any less than two weeks. I think my parents are looking at taking a month to six weeks (this would certainly allow you to do many side trips to attractions that are slightly off the Route).

One thing that did catch me off guard - because we're Midwesterners, we planned longer days across Illinois and Missouri, figuring "Eh, we've seen Illinois and Missouri a million times!" But there seemed to be a lot more Route 66 attractions along the first several hundred miles of the Route than you might find in, say, New Mexico. Just something to keep in mind.

I hope you'll stop back and let us know how your plans are going!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home