Route 66

I decided to drive Route 66 the night my kneecap popped off in the bathroom of the lodge at Camp Wesley Woods. Driving home in the wee hours after a trip to the emergency room, staying awake by rolling the windows down to let in the brisk October air, the delirium of the pain, the oldies on the radio...that's when I officially announced, "I'm going to drive Route 66." I am lucky to have three wonderful, adventurous, history geek friends who are ready to hit the road with me.

Friday, April 27, 2007

They're seeing Amarillo...

Mom and dad called to check in tonight. They're in Amarillo. Here's the trip so far:

Sunday: Chicago to Lincoln
Monday: Lincoln to St. Louis
Tuesday: St. Louis to Cuba
Wednesday: Cuba to Joplin
Thursday: Joplin to OKC
Friday: OKC to Amarillo

They're planning to stay at the Blue Swallow tomorrow night, Santa Fe on Sunday, Albuquerque on Monday, The Wigwam on Tuesday, Williams on Wednesday, Needles on Thursday and then three nights at the Rialto Wigwam.

Sunday evening they stayed at the Redwood Motel in Lincoln, Illinois. Dad said it was a nice mom 'n' pop place. Monday evening they checked into a hotel in Mitchell, Illinois, went back out to walk the Chain of Rocks bridge (jealous!), then went back to the hotel, checked out, drove across the river and found another hotel. My dad said the first hotel was a little sketchy, complete with deadbolts that didn't work. They skipped Ted Drewes this time, but living in Iowa it's not like they can't make a jaunt down to St. Louis some other time.

Tuesday morning they visited the Museum of Transportation, which they thoroughly enjoyed. After that they drove on to Cuba and, coincidentally, ended up at the same Best Western we stayed at. They tried the Wagon Wheel, and after talking to a lady at the Best Western, I think we know why it's so hard to get in there. The BW lady said the WW has a lot of weekly guests and doesn't necessarly cater to the overnight Route 66 traveller. That's the feeling I got when I tried to make a reservation there - it was impossible. It's too bad, but I guess it gives them a steady income.

Wednesday they stopped by the Munger Moss and were able to go inside and see some rooms. They are definitely up for a trip back to Lebanon so they can spend the night. Sounds like they spent a nice amount of time chatting there, too.

Although the 66 Drive-In at Carthage was closed, they said they stopped by and had a really nice conversation with a gentleman who works there. He told them all about the theatre and the business and it sounds like they really enjoyed it.

Tomorrow they'll hit the halfway point. I hope they get a slice of pie!

1 Comments:

Blogger 66 Productions said...

Glad your parents seem to be enjoying the trip. Hope they enjoy SoCal when they get here. If they need help on 66 in LA County (not to be missed!), have them drop me a line or give me a call. My contact info is on my website (which is linked to through my blog).

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home