Route 66

I decided to drive Route 66 the night my kneecap popped off in the bathroom of the lodge at Camp Wesley Woods. Driving home in the wee hours after a trip to the emergency room, staying awake by rolling the windows down to let in the brisk October air, the delirium of the pain, the oldies on the radio...that's when I officially announced, "I'm going to drive Route 66." I am lucky to have three wonderful, adventurous, history geek friends who are ready to hit the road with me.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Saturday, June 3

8:10 a.m. Arrive at Budget rental location at E Lake in downtown Chicago to pick up minivan. Sign out front indicates location closed.

8:11 a.m. Call Budget 1-800 number. Talk to Daniel who tells us to go to 1300 Irving Park instead.

8:25 a.m. Discover 1300 Irving Park is a cemetery.

8:26 a.m. Call Budget 1-800 number. Talk to unnamed individual who gives us a 630 number to call to set up new rental.

8:30 a.m. Call 630 number. No one answers.

8:45 Talk to Mary at Budget, who tells us we can rent a car from a location in the suburbs. Gives us a 703 number to call.

8:47 Call 703 number. No one answers.

9:00 Return home to Rick's. Look up 703 location, which turns out to be 25 miles away. Call Budget. Talk to Adam, who tells us we can rent from a location in Oak Park, which is about 7 miles away.

Pray for us!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your trip. My wife have made several but it took us 2 weeks just to do Carthage Mo to Santa Monica. You will be lucky just to make it without stopping to see or do anything on your list. If you get a chance pick up a copy of EZ66 Route 66 guide published by the national historic Route 66 Assoc. It will help when you get lost or trying to find places on your list.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sincerely hope that since 9 am was the last post, you successfully obtained a minivan and have embarked on your adventure! I was I was along your route, but I'll be cheering from the sidelines. By sidelines, I mean a gazillion miles north in Idaho where it hardly ever rains...but this year, hardly ever stops. :(

Good Luck!

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home