Route 66

I decided to drive Route 66 the night my kneecap popped off in the bathroom of the lodge at Camp Wesley Woods. Driving home in the wee hours after a trip to the emergency room, staying awake by rolling the windows down to let in the brisk October air, the delirium of the pain, the oldies on the radio...that's when I officially announced, "I'm going to drive Route 66." I am lucky to have three wonderful, adventurous, history geek friends who are ready to hit the road with me.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Friday, June 2

Well, here we are! Or here I am, anyway.

The flight from Raleigh to Chicago went off without a hitch. My first time flying Southwest and I rather enjoyed it. When I landed I had a message from Ann that their train, which was supposed to leave at 9:40, was leaving at 11:00. Oops? C'mon Amtrak, can you please get it together? It doesn't bode well for my Amtrak trip to Charlotte in a couple weeks. It's supposed to take three hours, but my friend Julie swears it will take six. I've been trying to give Amtrak the benefit of the doubt, but they're not helping.

So my friend Amy picked me up at Midway, we went to Navy Pier for lunch and then she dropped me off at Rick's. I'm mooching off of someone's wireless connection, sitting outside on the patio and waiting for the rest of the crew to arrive.

We've settled on Maza for dinner, a place we discovered for Sherrie's bachelorette party here a few years ago. We were pleased to discover it's within walking distance of Rick's place.

It's hard to believe this whole thing is actually happening. In 24 hours, we'll (hopefully) be in Missouri. And then Kansas and Oklahoma 24 hours after that. And so on. Here's to us!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's to a fabulous trip !!!
we did it a year ago - took six weeks to travel the route ... you will love it !! and the people are wonderful too - it will be an amazing experience !!

i blogged my way across too - so will be looking forward to reading if you get time to update it as you go

2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kids
Enjoyed your story.

We are living in a world today
where lemonade is made from
artificial flavoring and furniture polish is made from real lemons...
Alfred E Newman

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home