Route 66

I decided to drive Route 66 the night my kneecap popped off in the bathroom of the lodge at Camp Wesley Woods. Driving home in the wee hours after a trip to the emergency room, staying awake by rolling the windows down to let in the brisk October air, the delirium of the pain, the oldies on the radio...that's when I officially announced, "I'm going to drive Route 66." I am lucky to have three wonderful, adventurous, history geek friends who are ready to hit the road with me.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Possible stops or things to just keep an eye out for - Texas

Mile 995 - Tower Station and U-Drop Inn, Shamrock
Mile 1009 - Devil's Rope Museum ["The Largest Barbed Wire Historic Museum in the World!"], McLean
Mile 1023 - 66 Super Service Station, Alanreed
Mile 1046 - Largest cross in North America, Groom
Mile 1046 - Leaning Water Tower, Groom
Mile 1095 - Natatorium, Amarillo
Mile 1095 - Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo
Mile 1139 - Bent Door or Midpoint Café, Adrian (Ask about free bumper stickers!)
Mile 1159 - First Motel in Texas/Last Motel in Texas, Glenrio

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home