Route 66

I decided to drive Route 66 the night my kneecap popped off in the bathroom of the lodge at Camp Wesley Woods. Driving home in the wee hours after a trip to the emergency room, staying awake by rolling the windows down to let in the brisk October air, the delirium of the pain, the oldies on the radio...that's when I officially announced, "I'm going to drive Route 66." I am lucky to have three wonderful, adventurous, history geek friends who are ready to hit the road with me.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Possible stops or things to just keep an eye out for - Oklahoma

Mile 629 - Nine-foot wide section of original road ("paved half as wide as necessary so they could go twice as for with the same money"), Afton
Mile 670 - Bunion Derby commemorative road marker, Foyil
Mile 691 - Blue Whale, Catoosa
Mile 697 - Oral Roberts Prayer Tower, Tulsa (Is it bad if I want to see this for all the wrong reasons?)
Mile 797 - The Round Barn, Arcadia
Mile 817 - Route 66 shop, Oklahoma City
Mile 889 - Lucille's Service Station, Hydro (Plus be sure to pay attention to the design of the road and the curbs here)
Mile 911 - Elvis's room at the Best Western, Clinton
Mile 911 - Route 66 Museum, Clinton
Mile 941 - National Route 66 Museum and Kashina statue, Elk City

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home