Route 66

I decided to drive Route 66 the night my kneecap popped off in the bathroom of the lodge at Camp Wesley Woods. Driving home in the wee hours after a trip to the emergency room, staying awake by rolling the windows down to let in the brisk October air, the delirium of the pain, the oldies on the radio...that's when I officially announced, "I'm going to drive Route 66." I am lucky to have three wonderful, adventurous, history geek friends who are ready to hit the road with me.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

ob·ses·sion - Compulsive preoccupation with a fixed idea

Figment and I flew to Iowa this past weekend for my cousin's wedding. My parents received the Route 66 materials they ordered from Amazon, so we spent some of the weekend flipping through their books (among other things, they ordered the new 3rd edition of the Route 66 Adventure Handbook, which seems to be significantly expanded from the 2nd edition). Their plan is to take a month to do the Route, so an average of about 100 miles a day with some extra days for side trips and general whimsy. I'm eyeing the Flagstaff-to-Santa Monica section and thinking, "Hmmmm...I could take a week and do that part again!"

I'm also been scheming that perhaps I could trick Dave into driving the road one weekend at a time. We fly into Chicago on a Friday night, fly out of St. Louis on a Sunday night. Come back a few months later and fly into St. Louis and then out of Tulsa. Tulsa to Amarillo, Amarillo to Santa Fe, etc. etc. Think he'll catch on?

We are planning to see "Cars" on Friday night. Perhaps that will be the push he needs to realize that this is the greatest vacation ever.

1 Comments:

Blogger Almost Intern said...

I just finished reading your blog-I randomly discovered it-and it sounds like I did about the same thing you guys did, but a month or so later. Glad you had fun, I did too, and I agree that it was all about the people I met along the way.
I'm trying to figure out where to go next.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home